10 Things to Smile About (inspired by Things I Can't Say)
1. This boy. THIS BOY just studied for, tested for and will receive (tonight!) his blue belt in Tae Kwon Do. That means he's only four steps away from the black belt. Seriously. Putting him in Tae Kwon Do classes has been one of the best decisions R and I have made for Zachary. It's increased his confidence, his ability to concentrate, his balance and coordination, and his understanding of respect and rank and honor by about a million.
2. I secured Cooper a spot in our local library's Kindergarten 101 class, which starts in September. It's not the three day a week preschool I wanted for him, but I was thrilled to find this for him (and me). It will do him a world of good, I think. And it's free! I love free!
4. Speaking of Zachary starting second grade, on the morning of the first day when he was telling Cooper goodbye, I overheard him say "Cooper I know you'll miss me today. I'll miss you too, but it's ok with me if you want to play in my room today while I'm at school, so you maybe won't miss me so much." These little unscripted, unplanned moments when I see how much they love each other and are willing to take care of each other melt my heart. Big time.
5. I finally broke down and signed Zachary and myself up for The Color Run that's happening close to me. After the Lunar 5k debacle I wasn't sure I would do it, but R and Cooper will be sitting this one out, so Zachary and I can focus on having a great run together. This will be Zachary's third 5k, and if it goes well, I just might look for another local race or two for us in the fall.
6. R and I got a long-overdue date night recently thanks to my sister, who took the kids OVERNIGHT. That is an unprecedented amount of time that I have been away from them, and R and I celebrated by eating Indian food, then coming home and going to sleep at about 9pm. We're not really the partiers we once were...
7. My friend Natalie is in the process of starting her own fresh juice business. It's called Zest! Juice for life, and you can check out their website atzestjuiceforlife.com or their Facebook page here. I am so proud of her for going after what she wants!
8. Thanks to an overabundant tomato crop from my sister's garden, I learned how to can tomatoes this year. I was intimidated by all the steps in the process, but it turned out to be super easy, and all my jars sealed properly. It made me feel totally capable and pioneer-ish.
9. I feel like I'm finally getting back into the swing of running regularly after a fairly miserable and inconsistent showing this summer. At 640 miles +/- so far, I'm still on the right track to make my goal of 1,000 for the year. It's all downhill from here!
10. It's your turn! Tell me something good in the comments to make me smile. Even if you just normally lurk without commenting (I know you're there!!!), you're up! I can always use something else to make me happy.